Thursday, July 12, 2012

What really happened on the Fourth this year

Hunter and I are patriotic people.  And we are party people.  The Fourth is seriously one of our favorite days.  Yet, in this busy busy, fun FUN Summer we've had- we missed the fact that we hadn't planned any parties or get togethers for Independence Day.
Without a barbecue, swimming or family time- Hunter and I still believe that we paid tribute to our Land of the Free with some time together.

We first hung our Flag on the house and said the Pledge of Allegiance.  It was cloudy and unexpectedly cool for July in AZ, but we know that means nothing to us natives.  We took advantage of the cool clouds and did yard work.  Um, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe yard work is TOTALLY American- taking care of your property that is rightfully owned.  Classic, right?

Then it started to rain.

Then it started to pour.

And we just kept working!  It was awesome.

We took Old Glory inside for respect.  Showered up and did some shopping in bulk- another attribute of Americans.



I also took a cool down in the freezer.  


We went home fired up our toaster oven and had a delicious meal of taquitos and corn dogs while we watched The Sandlot.  I love that movie.  It is Summer all compact into one movie.  

I especially love the part where they play Baseball on the Fourth of July while fireworks are shooting all around them and Ray Charles is singing America the Beautiful.  


Speaking of beautiful spacious skies- we drove by the Gilbert Temple on our way to watch fireworks at the Gilbert Soccer Complex.  And look!  How gorgeous!  It was one of those times where I just knew no camera could catch how stunning this looked.  Because of the rain in the morning it was now a perfectly clear and crisp sunset with creamy blue skies throwing their light on the white Temple.  




The soccer complex was a great place to be for fireworks.  It's out in south Gilbert where it's all still fields with an occasional school or hospital going up.  So there's no obstructing views in any direction for miles and miles!  

Hunter and I plopped down with our lawn chairs and some snacks.  

The sunset was amazing.

The weather was also MIRACULOUS.  And I do not use that word lightly.  I have NEVER ever experienced a Summer day in Arizona- let alone a Holiday- where the evening temperatures are below like 89 degrees!  And I kid you not- it was about 77 when we left our car to walk to the soccer field.  And that was BEFORE the sunset.  Another blessing from that rain!  

I was just so happy.  



Hunter got a snow cone. 




Anyways- it got dark, fireworks were awesome.  I LOVE fireworks.  And it was cool to see all the shows in the valley off in the distance.  

And we all know photos of fireworks just are never the same as really being there.  So I made sure I was enjoying really being there and kept my camera in my pocket and my hand in Hunter's.  



We spent the last few hours of the Holiday at the Garner's having deviled eggs and homemade ice cream.   Happy Fourth!  



No comments:

Post a Comment