Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It's the fourth of July

How can you not love the USA?



 My respect, love and gratitude for this amazing country that I was miraculously born into has grown a ton this last month as we visited Boston.   A post about that trip is STILL coming.   I truly felt the Spirit as I walked through historic fields, churches, houses and other sites.  And the people who built our country!  They became real to me.  How brave they were- it never occurred to me until I was there- at the sites- of how these people were REAL people with real lives and how hard and dangerous that would be to rebel.  I am so so so grateful for their bravery- and their communication with God to know that their declaration for independence was the right thing to do.

My mother worked for the local school district for many years and now I am a teacher.  She and I just had a conversation about how wonderful it is each morning to say the Pledge of Allegiance or listen to the National Anthem.  She says she misses that a lot now that she's retired.  And even though I've only been out for the Summer for a few weeks- I too agreed that I really miss it!

 I always make sure my first hour class is up and at attention when the Pledge starts- and if there is any disrespect or dismissal of the Pledge we do it again.

 It's also awesome as a choir teacher to teach the National Anthem to my singers.  That song is so powerful!  I know it was inspired from each word to each interval that builds to the climax where you can't help but get goose bumps.   I also love how much the students love to sing that song!   They love how it makes them feel when they breathe those powerful words.

On a more modern and perhaps juvenile note- I love the fourth of July for it's Summer purity.  When you think of a perfect Summer day- doesn't it describe the Fourth?   Swimming, barbecue, friends, family, music, sunburn, water, popsicles, and perhaps for others like me- amazing shopping sales!  What a day!  Seriously one of my absolute favorite days of the year.  (Right up there with Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Christmas Eve.)

And fireworks.

FIREWORKS!  I am literally smiling right now at the thought.   I love fireworks sooooo much.   If I could do my wedding over again it would include fireworks.

Anyways- there's my thoughts this Independence Day 2012 at 12:41 am.

Here's a little patriotic tune for the day- sung by a British girl:







No comments:

Post a Comment